Re: A really basic web animation question -- Example

Subject: Re: A really basic web animation question -- Example
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:55:00 -0500

>Arlen is probably correct, however; the likelihood is that IE or HTMLHelp is
>installed on all of the systems that work. That means that even though
>you're using Netscape, the IE/HH controls are "activated" and work sort of
>behind the scenes (as I understand it). If you loaded this page on a
>computer that has never had IE or HH installed, your results would match
>Arlen's IE/HH-free setup.

Just to set the record straight:

a) I don't go ballistic at IE solutions, just at single platform/product
solutions, the vast majority of which seem to be IE-only solutions.

b) The problem in question appears to have been a 'net problem, with the
required javascript only occasionally making it to my browser in time to
execute. At least that's my best guess, based on the fact that it worked
intermittently, and on at least one occasion where it didn't work, hitting
"reload" resulted in it working.

c) I *do* have IE installed here (but not, AFAIK, HTML Help). I keep three
browsers around for testing purposes: Netscape 3.01 and 4.08, and IE 4.01. I
even use it occasionally, just to keep it from rusting over. ;{>}

I may be adding Netscape 4.5 to the mix, if I get around to installing it
before 5.0 ships.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224