Re: Allyn & Bacon books

Subject: Re: Allyn & Bacon books
From: Avon Murphy <avonmu -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 10:52:12 -0700

Andreas, all four of the books you single out are great. I've had the most
experience with Carolyn Rude's editing textbook, which I believe is the most
popular text for tech editing courses in North America. The book's strong
enough in information to use also as a reference. The companion Web site
(www.abacon.com/rude) provides downloadable assignment sheets.

BTW, the STC journal _Technical Communication_ has reviewed most of Allyn &
Bacon's tech communication titles. You might check out our reviewers'
comments for more insight into what the books offer. Here's when we've
reviewed the four books you mentioned:

Writing Software Documentation: A Task Oriented Approach: May 1998
Designing Visual Language: Strategies for Technical Communication: August
1998
Technical Writing Style: August 1998
Technical Editing: May 1998

Avon Murphy