Re: Usage "types of car"

Subject: Re: Usage "types of car"
From: "Wojcik, Richard H" <Rick -dot- Wojcik -at- PSS -dot- BOEING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 12:14:45 -0700

Thanks, Chris, but I'm well aware of Strunk and White. You can find an on-line link to it on my Linguistics and Language web page: http://home1.gte.net/rwojcik/linguistics.html. You can find advice in Strunk and White that is both very good and very bad. But it is clearly a venerable and well-respected style guide.

I'm not saying that these issues are impossible to resolve, only that they are very complex. Grammar and style guides attempt to address these issues, but they can only deal with them at a very superficial level. Linguists have come to accept the truism of the great American linguist Edward Sapir: "All grammars leak." We are looking at a very leaky corner of the grammar here.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=