Re: Usage "types of car"

Subject: Re: Usage "types of car"
From: "Wojcik, Richard H" <Rick -dot- Wojcik -at- PSS -dot- BOEING -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 12:31:12 -0700

Chris,

I think that we agree on how technical writers should handle such constructions. It you are looking to convey a precise meaning, and you have some doubt as to the precision of your language, you should look for some other way to say it.

But I think that the original question was more on the order of "What is correct?" not "What is precise?" The answer I usually give to queries for "correctness" is not what most writers want to hear--that everything is determined by conventional usage. Sometimes they accuse me of advocating that we all 'go with the flow', because that suggests that I oppose precise writing. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am very much in favor of writing standards, especially in the area of technical writing. It is just that we shouldn't invent arbitrary standards without some clear reason for doing so. It is tempting to place our faith in style manuals such as Strunk and White, but we need to realize that the authors of such manuals are often promoting their own linguistic tastes, not well-reasoned or logical advice. Take their advice with a grain of salt. But also listen to it, because their intuitons are often very good.

By the way, you mentioned that you didn't care whether or not sentences ended in prepositions. That raised some questions in my mind: Why should you? And why don't you? Answers: Some language authorities tell you that you shouldn't end sentences with prepositions. You know better. That is, you have decided to "go with the flow". ;-)

Anyway, I agree completely with your advice to avoid confusing constructions. I do not advocate the idea that people should simply be ruled by what occurs in conventional usage. Clear grammar and clear logic should be the rule.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=