Re: Volunteer in Toronto

Subject: Re: Volunteer in Toronto
From: Tommy Green <tgreen -at- AESBUS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 16:03:39 -0500

Jane, Samantha,

I don't live in Canada, and I don't understand about Canadians being down on
themselves. I am getting paid for what I do, but Jane, your passionate plea
that someone not be taken advantage of is the truest I have read in awhile.
Canadian or American, if you allow someone in the writing biz to get free
work they will certainly jump on it and you will never convince them when
it's time to pay up. Making a help file out of Mom's recipes is a great
idea. I did some intern work during College but I still insisted on the work
that paid something, even if it's a little, you can say you are a
professional writer.

I know it's like standing at the base of a mountain you have to climb when
you are trying to get the first job, especially if you live in an area like
me where graduating junior high is considered higher education (I have to
drive 74 miles one way to Houston). Believe me, there are companies looking
for writers. They won't admit it, but they NEED you more than you need them.

The rant is over....I agree with Jane. I haven't seen my local service
station attendant give me free gasoline, or a local waiter give me a free
meal because he/she wanted to learn the business. Hang in there.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not
sure about the former." --Albert
Einstein

Tommy D. Green
Senior Technical Writer