Re: Word does funny things with "Track Changes"

Subject: Re: Word does funny things with "Track Changes"
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 22:47:45 -0500

At 10:36 PM 8/3/99 -0500, Mary McWilliams Johnson wrote:
>A coworker sent a letter created in Word97 to someone by email. It was a
>letter for his signature. The letter was created using a template - a
>standard letter that she revised to suit the current situation.
>
>The recipient received the letter and reported that he could see the old
>letter as well as the revised letter. I guess he had turned on "track
>changes."
>
>But when my coworker turned on "track changes" and looked at the letter,
>she didn't see any trace of the old letter.
>
>What's going on here? How could the recipient see something the creator
of
>the letter couldn't see?

My guess would be that your co-worker had "Allow Fast Saves" turned on.
When that's turned on, Word saves more quickly, but it doesn't necessarily
delete old text; it just marks it as deleted. If the recipient viewed the
letter in something other than Word, or a different version, the "deleted"
text might become visible.

--
"UNIX is user friendly. It's just selective about who its friends are."
Beth Friedman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=