Re: $5 fees

Subject: Re: $5 fees
From: R2 Innovations <R2innovations -at- MYNA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 21:11:49 +0000

Someone posted:

<snip>
> I suppose a small fee isn't out of the question. Sure, I'd be willing to
pay
> a small amount every year.
>
> My point about free lists is that you might lose a lot of valuable people
> who don't want to bother paying for what they can get free
>elsewhere.
<snip>

Where, oh where, can you get the depth of knowledge, years of
experience, instant help, flame wars, and Andrew Plato that TECHWR-L
has for free? That list must have a gazillion subscribers!!

In all seriousness folks, Eric and Deb have provided a wonderful
service to us all for many years, as has OK State. We should all thank
them for what they have provided. However, because of our size and
the volume of our postings, we've outgrown the capacities of those
who offer free services. Now it's time for us all to pay our fair
share.

When I hear about students having a difficult time to pay their way
and then count the BMWs, Acuras, and Lexus' (or is it Lexi?), etc. in the
local _college_ parking lot, something seems sadly out of kilter - I drive
an
'88 vintage Detroit piece. Sure there are students who have a tough
time getting through, but many don't. Let's just let students have
free access, and if some miscreate passes themselves off as a student
when they aren't, life will deal with them in the end, it usually
does. If a student wishes to support the list by paying whatever the
subscriber fee is, let us accept their contribution with thanks.

Eric, as much as it is nice to ask for others' inputs, the list was
started by you and can be moved, ended, suspended, or whatever by
you. Thanks for considering our feelings and listening to our rants,
but get the best deal you can for us all, and then tell us how much.
We've trusted you in the past, and you've never let us down, so I
doubt very much you'll let us down this time.

Thank you Eric, Deb, and OK State for your past support.

Ralph E. Robinson
(I've received Eric's firm hand of discipline, too, and he was _very_
fair)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=