Re: TW impaired CW?

Subject: Re: TW impaired CW?
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 1999 11:59:51 -0400

Tech Writing is an odd business, isn't it. On the one hand, you get folks
who think anyone who speaks the language (a language) can write the docs
and, on the other hand, you get the folks (probably the same people at a
different time) who think you skilled enough to predict what the product
will look like, how it will work, and conjure up the necessary
graphics--even though development hasn't decided those items yet.

Great.

I just had a developer in my office who insisted and argued with me that I
needed the electronic copy of a 4-year old X-Windows DECwrite book so I
could save time by cutting and pasting information about a UNIX product into
a Windows-based FrameMaker book about a completely re-vamped, re-designed,
Windows-based product. Yes, the name of the UNIX product is similar to the
name of the Windows product. However, all the features and environment have
changed. Is there some part of converting from DECwrite and X-Windows to
Windows
NT that automatically updates book content to reflect the new platform and
software features? What part of "this is a new project" didn't they
understand?

Hakuna Matata.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

P.S. I often "adjust" screen grabs, and the like, to accommodate how the
software will really look. It's part of the job <g>.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=