Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus

Subject: Re: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 10:22:50 -0400

Hallo:

It depends on which style guide you use.

For example, the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications tells
you to use "click" instead of select or choose for mouse options.

Also, "drop-down" is the preferred Microsoft term whereas "pull-down" is,
apparently, an Apple thing.

Good luck.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

<snip>

>>> Select Search, Search Menu Option.
>>> So the basic construction is: Select x, y.
>>>
>>> However, another contractor suggested this:
>>>From the menu,
>>>choose x, y.
>>>
>>> Here's are our concerns:
>>>
>>>1. Which one of these methods is the "standard"? If
>>>neither, can you
>>>offer some suggestions?
>>>2. Should we use "choose" over "select" in our procedures?
<snip>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=