Style Guidelines for pull-down menus

Subject: Style Guidelines for pull-down menus
From: "Norman, Mary" <Mary -dot- Norman -at- WESTGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 09:17:40 -0500

We are trying to get some clarity about how to document a
pull-down menu correctly.

Our doc team is currently using the following construction
when documenting a procedure within a program:

Select Search, Search Menu Option.
So the basic construction is: Select x, y.

However, another contractor suggested this: From the menu,
choose x, y.

Here's are our concerns:

1. Which one of these methods is the "standard"? If neither, can you
offer some suggestions?
2. Should we use "choose" over "select" in our procedures?

Thanks!

Mary Norman
Technical Writer
Documentation Group/Rochester