Re: Use of "You" in Documentation

Subject: Re: Use of "You" in Documentation
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- JAGUNET -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 11:38:26 -0400

On 8/6/1999 10:02 AM, Norman, Mary (Mary -dot- Norman -at- WESTGROUP -dot- COM) wrote:

>Several days ago, our documentation team was having a
>discussion about the use of "you" in our product guides.

It might help to see some examples, but in many cases you can omit the
pronoun altogether by using the imperative. Instead of:

"You can use the WhizBang Lawn Mower to trim your bangs as well as your
lawn."

Try saying:

"Use the WhizBang Lawn Mower to trim your bangs as well as your lawn."

It's shorter, and usually flows just as well. It helps get rid of "You
can," "You should," "You might," and so on.

That said, I think that if absolutely necessary, "You" where appropriate
works fine in doc. I only refer to "the user" when I'm writing material
for "the administrator" to read.

----->Mike

Internet: stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com AOL: MStockman
AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=