Re: Use of "You" in Documentation

Subject: Re: Use of "You" in Documentation
From: Owen Clancy <clancy -at- CABOOLTURE -dot- NET -dot- AU>
Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 14:52:41 +1000

> Several days ago, our documentation team was having a
>discussion about the use of "you" in our product guides. We agreed that
>"you" really brings the user into the fold, but we were wondering if there
>are some more formal rules about this usage that we could turn to...

Mary, If you want formal rules you could try this one:

http://scaleplus.law.gov.au/html/pasteact/1/597/0/PA000340.htm

Australian tax law has used "you" extensively for about the last 5 years. It
is not used in provisions that don't apply to "real" people, such as rules
relating only to companies. It is also not used in provisions which deal
with a number of parties, where it is likely to be unclear which of the
parties is "you".

Regards
Owen Clancy

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=