Re: alternative to numbering [a little distracted, but getting there]

Subject: Re: alternative to numbering [a little distracted, but getting there]
From: "Mark X. Dempsey" <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 14:39:35 -0700

Anita, et. al.

Keeping the real purpose in mind is key in such decisions. For example,
the only reason for an individual to prefer a computer calendar over a
paper one is the ease of scheduling recurring appointments.
Nevertheless, software calendar makers made them without an easy way to
schedule "the second Wednesday of the month" until recently. (BTW, is
there an address book manager for Netscape? Netscape mail is less
capable than IE/Outlook, but more stable.)

So, IMHO, the *only* purpose for header numbering (except perhaps the
oxymoronic "military intelligence") is ease of cross-reference.

If you have a cross-reference format that's "Heading on page XX" then
you're doing everything the 1.1.2.3.4.5.99 does in a less robotic way.
If your cross-references in HTML/pdf are links, and visibly so, then you
don't even need this...

--
Regards,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey
-- Technical Publications

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=