Re: job

Subject: Re: job
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 05:22:46 -0600

Chris Fitztzgerald wrote:

> Hi everyone. I'm new to this list and am new to tech. writing. I'm
having
> a difficult time in getting started because everyone wants experience, but
> no one wants to give me a chance to GET experience. I can move anywhere
> for now, and am taking courses to gather somewhat of a portfolio of
writing
> samples. Is there anyone out there who has some insight as to how to get
> my foot in the door and still make a decent wage?
> I interview well, have always done well at work, but look weak on my
> resume. (teaching English doesn't seem to count to recruiters).

This is a great question to look for in the archives,
as it's been asked and answered repeatedly.

The short version is to volunteer somewhere, use
anything you've ever written as a sample, and get
objective feedback on your resume/interviewing/presentation.

If you're specifically looking for software docs experience,
check out the following (copied from my posting to this
list on June 10, 1999).

>Gang,
>Here's an announcement that might be of interest to many,
>particularly the relatively new writers who suffer the
>Catch-22 of no experience, thus no portfolio, thus no job to
>get experience and build a portfolio.
>
>Deb Richardson (from the camp of once and former
>Group) which, among other things, helps match writers
>with projects. If you're looking for a paying gig, this
>isn't it, but if you have an axe to grind as a Bill-basher
>or Open Source fan, if you need experience,
>or if you want to expand your experience into new technical
>areas (and/or develop completely NDA-free portfolio
>so you actually _have_ something to show),
>check it out.

(Updated URL and email)
Contact: "Deb Richardson" <deb -at- thepuffingroup -dot- com>

>This could involve writing docs for any Open Source software,
>from Linux or FreeBSD to games to other applications,
>and I'm sure the scope could range from end user docs
>through programmer/API docs.

Hope this helps,
Eric

Eric J. Ray ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com
UNIX Visual QuickStart Guide is "a superb book!"
Don't believe it? Check for yourself!
Find out more at http://www.raycomm.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=