Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing

Subject: Re: Recommended software for breaking into technical writing
From: shelly -dot- l -dot- hazard -at- EXGATE -dot- TEK -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 11:29:57 -0700

Bev Lockhart wrote:
> journalism). Tech writing is the absolutely most boring thing in the
> world, and I am certainly going to get flamed for this!

I'm afraid I have to state a different opinion here (no flames - just my
opinion!). Personally, I love technical writing and can't stand journalism.
Both are just different styles of writing on different topics. One way to
look at it is - if you like people, go for journalism but if you like
technology, go for technical writing. Technical writing at times can be
very dry (especially when you need to revise the same manual for the
umpteenth time), but it can be equally exciting. You get a chance to watch
the development of new technologies and at times, you even participate in
the development of those technologies. You're providing documentation that
someone is going to need and use (if you've done your job right...) -
perhaps it will become a well-thumbed, much-used reference.

Also, you get to play with (uh, I mean work with) new toys (uh, I mean
tools) of the writing profession. In some cases, especially in high-tech,
you get the use of high-priced, high-end tools and equipment you would
otherwise never have the opportunity to use.

Just my 2cents worth.

Shelly

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=