Re: Converting A Book To Word

Subject: Re: Converting A Book To Word
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Brierley -at- QUODATA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:40:07 -0400

Hallo:

I assume you are converting a FrameMaker book to MS Word.

If so, whether you convert via RTF or the Word6/7 export filter, you must do
it chapter by chapter (*.fm files) not by book (*.book, *.bk).

Since FrameMaker and Word do their jobs so differently, I would expect
anything not in the body of the document to be handled poorly, if at all.
For example, I would expect headers, footers, cross-references, reference
tables (TOC, IX), footnotes, and other such items to need extensive rework.
Graphics, too.

If you do this kind of thing on a regular basis, there are third party
import/export filters, like mif2rtf and Filtrix that claim more accurate,
faster, and easier translation between software packages.

Good luck.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=