Re: Newbie Contractor needs advice

Subject: Re: Newbie Contractor needs advice
From: "Scott, Deborah" <x0046202 -at- TI -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 17:43:31 -0500

Title: RE: Newbie Contractor needs advice

I never take hourly jobs. I always get an agreement for a fixed price. Of course, the hours I expect to work (along with a sense of how much this type of job usually costs) are used to derive the fixed price.  Then, in the contract, I lay out specifically what everyone is supposed to do, along with approximate due dates for the various steps of the project (including due dates on the client's (SME's) part).

I clearly state that the completion of the original project depends on the clients fulfilling their obligations on time. If the project gets extended (due to problems on the clients' end), I state whatever the consequences will be (such as a less-detailed manual, additional cost for extended time... etc.).

The clients are expecting to pay XX amount of dollars for the project and if my fixed price meets those requirements, they'll hire me. (The fact that I create a detailed project proposal makes me look like I'm as professional as a consulting company-- which would cost more-- and gives the clients a sense that I'm not going to rip them off or miss a deadline.) I started working as a Technical Writer for a consulting firm, and that's where I learned the pitfalls of not specifying things out and not making the client responsible (in writing) for their end. I've copied these things from the company I worked for-- and it has really saved me in several projects.

--Deborah Scott