Single Sourcing using Word 97

Subject: Single Sourcing using Word 97
From: rvantour -at- MONDENET -dot- COM
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 08:07:57 -0500

Hello all,

I am working on the docs for a set of medical software products, (Pro,
Medium, and Lite, for lack of better names right now) that share identical
procedures. The main difference between the products is the amount of
customization that is allowed and the peripherals that are supported.

I am evaluating the practicality of single sourcing the docs, and possibly
the Help by the following method:

1. Bookmark each procedural chunk in the _Pro_ manual with a descriptive
name.

2. Use the IncludeText field in the _Medium_ and _Lite_ manuals (and
possibly the online Help using RoboHelp) to reference the various bookmarks
from the source doc.

I have done a small test document and it looks like it works quite well.

Any experience using this type of source doc?

Any recommendations for a better way of doing it using Word 97?

If anyone has any recommendations for document control and review using this
method I would appreciate it as well.

Thank you,

Rick Vantour
rvantour -at- mondenet -dot- com

Sign up now for your free web based email account
http://ebarua.mondenet.com/

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=