Re: Does a Professional Tech Writer need to follow the Chicago nual of Style?

Subject: Re: Does a Professional Tech Writer need to follow the Chicago nual of Style?
From: Dan Roberts <DRoberts -at- ISOGON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 16:47:08 -0400

Title: RE: Does a Professional Tech Writer need to follow the Chicago Manual of Style?

first, go for any style guide used/developed by the company/client.

Failing that, then check CMOS. From what I understand, CMOS was developed for journalism, although it has plenty of good conventions for writing in general. And I'd probably add in a few good general style and grammar guides in there as well.

However, if CMOS&co don't answer a particular question related to TW, a more appropriate source could be used, such as the MS Manual of Style, the Sun ReadMe First style guide, or the IBM Style Guide (is this even available anymore, and available to the general public?). And, of these 3 style quides, I'd probably go for the one that supports the software platform for the project being documented.

And if these 3 don't completely provide an answer or a good guideline, go with your gut feeling <g>.

YMMV.

And fwiw, I agree with you on cereal commas, tho ya gotta be careful with 'em, cuz the little pointy ends can get stuck between your teeth <g>.

Dan Roberts
droberts -at- isogon -dot- com