Re: Ligatures, fi fl

Subject: Re: Ligatures, fi fl
From: Peter Jones <Holtec -at- COMITY -dot- DEMON -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 10:25:03 +0100

In message , Bernd Hutschenreuther <Bernd -dot- Hutschenreuther -at- PREPRESS -dot- DE>
writes
Hi Bernd

>I want to use the fi and fl ligatures in some documentations, following the
>typographic style of the Chicago Manual of Style.
>
>But: I did not find a way to use the ligatures, even if the glyphs are
>included in the font, for example in Century Schoolbook.
>
>The fi ligature and the fl ligature are both in the type face, but I did
>not find a way to include them into the document. They do not appear in the
>charakter map.

I just tried this on Word 97 on a PC. In Word using the Garamond type
set (I don't have Century Schoolbook installed, but this shouldn't make
a difference):

Insert>symbol

In the font pull down select 'normal text'
In the subset pull down select 'Alphabetic Presentation Forms'

You should see the type set scroll down to the end of the set and the
'fi' and 'fl' ligatures are shown at the end.

Click on the ligature you need and click insert.

Take care,
--
Peter Jones

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=