Re: use vs. utilize (and finalize)

Subject: Re: use vs. utilize (and finalize)
From: Jim Cort <jcort -at- TOTALTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:06:48 -0400

kenfry -at- QUICK -dot- NET <mailto:kenfry -at- QUICK -dot- NET> wrote:

Must we "finalize"
when "finish" or "complete" makes the meaning clear?

I have to lodge a differing opinion. I am thinking of a memo I received
years ago concerning a system I was documenting. It read:

<Those portions of the system that have not yet been finalized will be
finalized soon. Those portions of the system that have been finalized may
change.>

This was a new and arcane meaning of the word with which I was not familiar.

You learn something every day (if you're not careful).

Jim Cort
Technical Writer
TotalTel
Jcort -at- total -dot- com <mailto:Jcort -at- total -dot- com>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=