Re: FrontPage replacement?

Subject: Re: FrontPage replacement?
From: Arlen P Walker <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:18:00 -0500

I hear that complaint (frequent crashes) about the Windows version of Fusion
as
well. I currently use Fusion (Mac) and have used GoLive back when it was
(Mac-only) CyberStudio 3.0 and have not had that problem with either one;
possibly the Mac versions of each are more stable.

Still, having said that, I'm considering moving to Dreamweaver as well. At
least on those alternate minutes when I'm not sure I should just go back to
hand-coding HTML in a text editor. It's gaining in the site management area
and
its feature set as an editor is probably the best going.

Dan Shafer made an interesting analogy about WYSIWYG web tools. They're
rather
like compilers (well, what can you expect, he comes from a techie
background).
In the old days, compilers wrote poor to average quality code; it executed,
just not very efficiently. Even so, compilers allowed programmers to write
larger programs faster than ever before, and the good programmers learned to
identify the pieces of code that still needed to be hand-assembled for
efficiency while letting the compiler handle the rest, making them more
productive.

HTML seems to be going in the same direction. WYSIWYG tools can handle some
things well, and other techniques are better off hand-coded. The art of
productive design is in knowing the difference.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=