SUMMARY: To mouse or not to mouse?

Subject: SUMMARY: To mouse or not to mouse?
From: "Parker, Kami {41-1~Indianapolis}" <KAMI -dot- PARKER -at- ROCHE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 17:12:20 -0400

To those who replied, both on and off the list, thank you for your
thoughtful responses. Most everyone disliked the Scroll over and Mouse over
decription.

The following are a few of the verb phrases that were offered:
Point, Move, Place, Hover ....the pointer, pointer device, cursor

However, those alternatives didn't seem to succintly define the action, at
least in this particular instance I am trying to describe.
I agree that Mouse is not and should not be a verb. I also agree that
scroll should only be associated with the scroll bar control.

But...

The window has a bar graph with several bars, some are divided to represent
different variables of the total. When you place, point or put the cursor
on the bar, the cursor/hand displays corresponding data, in a tool-tipish
type window relative to its location on the X,Y axis of the chart. As you
mouse, scroll, roll or move up or down the bar, the statistical data is
updated.

You have the benefit of a visual bar chart plus the ability to view the
precise numeric data, without having to put a ruler up to the monitor to see
value of the bar on the Y axis <g>. Therefore, point, place, and hover,
sound to me as if you are describing one specific location on the screen
when in reality it is the entire bar(s). You have to move (i.e. action, not
rest) the mouse to get the data.

I'm certain, although as of yet I don't know, that this action can be
replicated with the keyboard or keystrokes but the preferred or rather
intended method is for a mouse/trackball/ or some other point and click
device. Also of note, when the bar is activated a right mouse click may be
performed to alter the settings (color, background, bar style, etc.), views
(pie chart, trend chart, etc.) and subset of information (e.g. double-click
on a individual bar and the graph will be refreshed with detailed
information about the selected variable). (FYI: SAS Graph.applet, Dynamic
Drilldown Report.)

BTW, I cracked open the Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications
again and found the following:

"hover, mouse over
Avoid these terms, especially in end-user documentation, refer to the action
of briefly resting the mouse pointer on a button, link, and so on to see a
definition or description. Instead, use rest on, pause on, or a similar
word or phrase. Do not use mouse over as a verb phrase. To describe the
action of moving the mouse to a button, use a phrase such as "move the
pointer over the button."

I am still uncertain about the verbiage so I'll welcome and entertain any
other ideas that you can muster.

Otherwise, I'll just give into whimsy and move on...or is it, mouse on to
the next challenge.

Have a good weekend and thanks again for your ideas.

Kami

Kami Parker
Consulting Analyst - Technical Writer
Software Synergy, Inc.