Subject: [techwr-l] RESULTS: User Documentation Preferences
From: "Linda Sims" <lsims -at- dset -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 08:51:09 -0400

I received 11 responses to my question:

Do users really prefer to have online help files as their
ONLY source of application documentation?

Of these 11, only 1 person stated that they preferred "to have all
the help for a software product available online". Everyone else
stated that both online help files and printed/printable manuals
should be provided to users.

I must admit that my phrasing of the question could have been
better, since some people weren't aware that when I referred to
online help I was speaking ONLY of the information you get when
you click on Help; however, all comments were useful and the
anecdotal evidence should prove very helpful also.

I'm putting together my thoughts with the feedback I received into a
PowerPoint presentation. Wish me luck!

Linda Sims
DSET Corporation

If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil,
it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
--John Brunner, The Shockwave Rider

As a leading service provider to technical writers, we are proud to sponsor

Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.
---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

From