Subject: [techwr-l] OT (I guess): File Sizes in Word
From: Cirrus Matusek <CMatusek -at- LTDCommodities -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 10:51:16 -0500

please reply off list. thanks in advance.

plain & simply stated:

my word doc started out listed in my File Manager as approximately 150 pages
and about 4000kb. it was filled with screen captures and text and consisted
of hundreds of "file inserts." when i would print it -- it printed out as
150 MGs.

one day, after "saving as," i saw in the File Manager, that my word doc
(still same length and content) had blown up to 19,000kb. Still printed out
as 150 MG.

i started making MINIMAL changes (word choice here, formatting there, etc.)
and noticed, in my File Manager, that the doc had grown to 31,000kb (same
content and length).

with all the screwy things word was doing, i decided to break the doc into
two parts. SO, i created two different part (part I, part II), which should
be AT LEAST have the size of the original. but, in the File Manager, each
part is now LARGER (at approx 34,000kb) than the original doc (31,000kb)

does anyone know why this might be?

As a leading service provider to technical writers, we are proud to sponsor

Rely on ForeignExchange for responsive and professional
software localization and technical translation services.

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com

From