Fw: Re: Repeating a figure (was "Forward" referencing)

Subject: Fw: Re: Repeating a figure (was "Forward" referencing)
From: "jane" <judydh -at- total -dot- net>
To: "techwr-l" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:13:53 -0400

What I used to do at a previous company: have the normal figure numbering
for each chapter and each figure, e.g. 1-1, 1-2, e-3, etc. (figures were not
repeated within a chapter, at least). However, at the top right of each
figure frame, in 7 pt Helvetica, the file name of the figure was included
without the extension. Figures were numbered in series according to the
illustrator's whimsy, though he was organized. So if a figure was a
modification of a previous release, the previous illustration stayed the
same with the same file name, and a new copy was made with the filename and
the new version number attached

e.g. 20355_192(3.0)
20355_192(5.0)

If you were to go through the pdfs with the catalog search tool, you'd find
six or so citations of a given figure number.

Everybody loved me when a few illustrations had to have their filenames
changed, and I could tell them on which pages these illustrations were
found.

Also kindof handy when you want to purge your directories of any unnecessary
graphics files.

HTH,

Jane