Re: Another PDF Question

Subject: Re: Another PDF Question
From: Shlomo Perets <shlomo -at- microtype -dot- com>
To: Daruwala Rohina-ind295 <Rohina -dot- P -dot- Daruwala -at- motorola -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 1999 10:42:44 +0100

Rohina,

You wrote:

>I need some help urgently. I have a Book in FrameMaker with a whole load of
>chapters. I convert it to a PDF to be published on the Web. I have to keep
>updating this PDF with the new chapters I add. What I would like to know is,
>is there a way to just add a chapter to the pdf without having to regenerate
>everytime i add a new chapter? Or do I have to regenerate the entire BOOK
>each time I want to update my stuff on the Web?
>
>Also just checking with the FrameMaker users, will my cross references
>appear as jumps in my pdf document??

Even though you can append PDF files to your current PDF in Acrobat/
Exchange (Document > Insert Pages), I don't recommend this.
It is generally much better (and easier) to print the book to a single
PS and redistill it each time it is updated.

You didn't specify which version of FrameMaker you use, and what printer
driver you use, but the main problems associated with inserting new PDFs
in Acrobat relate to:

(a) file size - depending on type of fonts used, printer driver, and
distilling parameters in effect, files you add in Acrobat will be larger
than a book file printed to a single PS file and distilled as one piece

(b) interactivity problems/headaches - bookmarks and links. The problems
you might encounter will vary, depending on the specific release of
FrameMaker you are using. Handling these problems will be manual and
time-consuming at best.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType
http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat: TimeSavers / Advanced Techniques Course / Solutions