RE: "Forward" referencing

Subject: RE: "Forward" referencing
From: shelly -dot- l -dot- hazard -at- exgate -dot- tek -dot- com
To: Bonna_Savarise -at- NOTES -dot- YMP -dot- GOV, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 06:59:56 -0700

Bonna Savarise said:
<<Has anybody ever run into this situation: an author wants to use
what he
calls "forward" referencing--that is, he wants to reference figures
in an
early section that actually appear in a later section. >>

One solution is to remove all figures from the body of the document and
place them into an Appendix. This then gives one common place to find
figures, so the reader only needs to flip to one section, and allows you to
cross-reference them as many times as necessary without confusing section
numbers. You could also put a note in the front matter of the book (do you
have a "Conventions" type section?) stating that all figures may be found in
the Appendix.

Some of the standards bodies in our industry use this method. I don't know
if it's the best solution - but it may help in your case.

Shelly