Describing jumpers

Subject: Describing jumpers
From: Janet Valade <janetv -at- systech -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 13:12:47 -0700

Hi folks,

> No, I'm not talking about people on building ledges.

I am not sure about the proper terminology or wording to use when describing
changing jumpers. Maybe someone can help. Do you say jumper pins, as in
jumper is a verb? For instance, there are three pins. Users should set the
jumper on either pins 1 and 2 or pins 2 and 3. Is it customary usage to say
jumper 1-2. Or jumper 1 and 2. Or put the jumper on 1 and 2? Or what?

Also, I am doing a table showing combinations of jumpers. Something like
this.

Location A
Location B
jumper 1-2 jumper 2-3

jumper 1-2 232 422

jumper 2-3 incorrect 485

What would be clear labels for this? Does jumper 1-2 clearly mean set the
jumper on pins 1-2. How about *1-2 jumpered*?

All suggestions appreciated.

Janet

Janet Valade
Technical Writer