Re: templates for booklets

Subject: Re: templates for booklets
From: Dick Margulis <ampersandvirgule -at- att -dot- net>
To: Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 21:55:01 -0400


Actually, _booklet_ is the correct term. If you want to be pedantic you
could say _octavo booklet_, although nobody would know what the hell you
were talking about.

Where you could use a name is in referring to 8.5 x 11 paper, which is
either _letter_ or _US letter_ paper. The similar metric size (a bit
taller and narrower) is called A4 paper. It is helpful to know the names
of common paper sizes because many print drivers offer you choices by
name rather than by dimension.

What you are looking for is not actually a template. The arrangement of
pages on a form (the full sheet you print) is called imposition. So what
you need is something that takes the pages you have created (in
sequence, beginning with page 1) and rearranges them for printing as a

There are several approaches to this. (I'm ignoring the fact that you
asked about Frame and Word--someone else can tackle that aspect of the
question.) PageMaker has a Build Booklet plug-in that allows you to
specify paper size, which pages you want to include, and how much creep
you want. (Creep is the adjustment in the margin to account for the
thickness of the folded booklet. It only comes into play when the
booklet is to be trimmed after folding to give it a flat front edge.) It
is possible that Adobe supplies a similar plug-in for Frame; I don't

Also, Xerox's digital copiers (sorry I don't recall model numbers, but
the office-size floor model copiers, not the tabletop copiers) have a
menu selection that allows you to create booklets. It handles reduction
as well as imposition. You just feed it a stack of pages in normal
sequence and let 'er rip. (Very cool feature for a copier, n'est-ce

What you should try to avoid is manual imposition of a booklet in a word
processing program. It is guaranteed to shorten your life.

Good luck,


Gilda_Spitz -at- markham -dot- longview -dot- ca wrote:
> I'm looking for templates that you can use in Frame and Word to create
> small folded and stapled booklets. I'm talking about the booklets printed
> on standard-sized paper and then folded in half, with page 1 beside, say,
> page 8, page 2 beside page 7, and so on. I searched the Adobe site a while
> ago and couldn't find what I wanted.
> Does anyone out there have any ideas? Any help would be appreciated. (And
> by the way, is there a special name for those booklets? I always like to
> use the correct term if possible.)
> Thanks.

Previous by Author: Re: Process, not bureaucracy
Next by Author: Re: templates for booklets
Previous by Thread: templates for booklets
Next by Thread: Re: templates for booklets

What this post helpful? Share it with friends and colleagues:

Sponsored Ads