what to do when there are two paths for a procedure

Subject: what to do when there are two paths for a procedure
From: "Amy Lattof" <amyl -at- learnlinc -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 17:03:53 -0400

Hi all,

What do you do when the software you are documenting has two paths for most
of its tasks? For example, to launch an application you might:

a. Select Tools > Run > MyApp, from the menu bar.
or
b. Click the MyApp button on the toolbar.

I've been dealing with them by documenting the "formal" menu way in the main
procedure, and then giving the quick "button" way in my shortcuts column (a
section that runs next to the main column and gives quick tips, definitions,
etc.).

I'm pretty satisfied with this solution, but my manager wants to document
both paths in the main procedure. Sooo, it would go some thing like:

Select Tools > Run > MyApp from the menu bar, or click the MyApp button on
the toolbar.
And then the button way would also still in the shortcuts column.

What do you think? Is my original scheme effective? Is his suggestion
confusing (I think it would be...) Am I really off the wall here? Any
comments or suggestions are welcome.

TIA,
Amy