do alarms always sound?

Subject: do alarms always sound?
From: Christi Carew <infinity -at- yourhead -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1999 07:59:43 -0700

Hello..

First, I'm on digest, so if you could respond to me directly (as well as to
the list if you want), that would be great.

My situation...

I have written something to the effect of

"You can configure an alarm to sound when a metric fails."

The SME had previously written

"You can configure an alarm to go off when a metric fails."

I didn't like the "go off" verb, so I changed it to sound. He then pointed
out that it might not be an audible alarm. The alarm could be a light that
lights up, or some other nonaudible indicator.

My question...

So what does an alarm do, generically speaking?

Thanks!

Christi Carew

Sage Instruments
Freedom, CA 95076