RE: Respect (was Motivation For Overtime?)

Subject: RE: Respect (was Motivation For Overtime?)
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:23:24 -0500

At 09:45 PM 9/23/99, Carnall, Jane wrote:

If my employer respects me, the results may be that my employer will supply
free cider and pizza if I have to work late, flex hours to suit my needs,
the latest PC and software that my work requires, stock options, and a good
manager. But it's perfectly possible for a company to supply all these
things, including a manager who sincerely believes (as all managers do
these days!) that s/he's a caring parental figure, but still evidence
profound disrespect for the employees. I know, because that describes my
former place of employment to a T. (Except the flex hours: if you weren't at
your desk, etc, you weren't working.)

Absolutely true. I spent five years (about 3 too long) at a place where respect for the employees in the department was never high, but went way downhill. When I first started, when there was a rush going on, the manager would buy us pizza as an inducement to work through lunch. By the time I left, the same pizza was showing up, but the attitude was "we've bought you this pizza, now you have to stay and work."

Same perk, but what a difference in attitude!

--
Beth Friedman
bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com