RE: Multiple checkouts with FrameMaker?

Subject: RE: Multiple checkouts with FrameMaker?
From: "Beth Kane" <BethKane -at- TCISolutions -dot- com>
To: <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 14:40:37 -0700

I don't see much need to use a version control system with FrameMaker files.
Simply storing all Frame files on a server, and insisting everyone work from
the server, keeps two people from modifying the same file at once. This
setup lets everyone work on different chapters, while preventing overlapping
edits in the same file. It let us get our work done really fast at this one
company where I worked, where project timelines were short.

I'm not clear on why folks are concerned with saving every little historic
modification that was ever made to a book file. It's not like this is code.
It's not crucial to product operation; it's just phrasing.

In my experience, weekly backups -- and archiving each version of a book
that's gone to print -- are plenty of version control.

~Beth
bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com