Cross-platform development

Subject: Cross-platform development
From: Karen Neeb <KNeeb -at- Winnebago -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 1999 09:43:03 -0500

Our company develops software that is used on both Windows-based and Mac
computers. In the past, the developers simply designed and developed the UI
using Windows standards, then compiled it for the two platforms. There was
no consideration toward Mac standards (such as using Save and Don't Save
rather than OK and Cancel). This made it easy for us tech writers, as we
only needed to write one set of instructions. I don't know what impact this
had on Mac end-users, who then had to use a UI with unfamiliar standards.

The developers are now considering the effort it would be to create a
separate UI for each platform. I would be interested in hearing from anyone
who has to document in this environment.

- How does this affect your printed documentation? Do you print two
separate manuals? Or do you keep one manual and write separate step
instructions or even keep one set of instructions and say, "in Window, do
this" and "on the Mac, do this"?
- How does this affect your online documentation? (same questions)

Please respond directly as I subscribe to digest. Thanks in advance for your
input!

Karen Neeb
Winnebago Software