RE: Frame to HTML Help question

Subject: RE: Frame to HTML Help question
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Ola Humphries" <ohumphr -at- ect -dot- enron -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1999 10:12:45 -0700

Ola Humphries wrote:

| We are currently beginning to make HTML help files from
| FrameMaker documents
| that we import into ForeHelp.
| The question that arises concerns the most efficient way to do
| this.

IMO, the most efficient way to get from FrameMaker to HTML Help is to use
WebWorks Publisher from Quadralay. Bringing FrameMaker files into a HAT,
regardless of whether it's ForeHelp or some other HAT, entails a lot of
extra work, whether or not you use Word as an intermediate editor. With
WebWorks Publisher, there is no need for any intermediate editor. You set up
a conversion template, run it against your FrameMaker book(s), and voila you
have your HTML Help fileset.

<snip>

| Certain editing procedures seem to be best done in Word, for example, the
| Replace feature, whereby you replace one Style (Frame calls them
| tags), with
| another. Using Word you can do this across your entire .RTF doc
| with one step.

You can rename tags in FrameMaker just as easily as in Word. Although the
best approach (if you really insist on moving info from FrameMaker to Word)
is to ensure that for each para tag in Frame you have an identically named
para style in Word. Then, the renaming step is unnecessary.

Regards,

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415-550-8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer

Hands-on RoboHELP training classes
every month in Chicago, Dallas & San Francisco