RE: Two RH 2000 & WWP questions

Subject: RE: Two RH 2000 & WWP questions
From: "David Knopf" <david -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "Beth Kane" <bethkane -at- tcisolutions -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 16:54:26 -0700

Beth Kane asked:

| We have the Blue Sky subscription plan, and I've been expecting to receive
| RoboHELP 2000 any day. Has anyone else out there received it yet? (Is it
| really shipping?)

Yes, I received my subscription plan copy over a week ago, so I can vouch
for the fact that product is in fact shipping!

| Also: If I create Winhelp OR RoboHTML (using either RH 7.0 or 2000), does
| anyone know whether it will be easy to convert it to WebWorks Publisher's
| HTML-based help? We might be buying WWP in a couple months.

It depends what you mean by "easy." It won't be technically complex.
Depending on the size of your project, though, it could be awful
time-consuming. First, you'll have to get your WinHelp or HTML Help files
into FrameMaker, then you'll have to do some tweaking in Frame. Then, you'd
build the WebWorks template and be ready to produce the WebWorks Help
output. This can be done. The painful part is: what do you do when you need
to change the original WinHelp or HTML project? Answer: Repeat the whole
process of converting from RoboHELP to FrameMaker. Have you ruled out using
WebHelp?

I can't recommend an approach for your particular project because I don't
know enough about it. But one alternative would be to write all the material
in FrameMaker and then use WebWorks Publisher to generate WinHelp or HTML
Help (or both), as well as the "WebWorks Help" format. At least this way, if
the source files (in FrameMaker) should change, you can *automatically*
regenerate the WinHelp, HTML Help, and/or WebWorks Help.

HTH ...

David Knopf
Knopf Online
Tel: 415-550-8367
E-mail: mailto:david -at- knopf -dot- com
Web: http://www.knopf.com

Certified RoboHELP Instructor & Consultant
WebWorks Publisher Certified Trainer

Hands-on RoboHELP training classes
every month in Chicago, Dallas & San Francisco