RE: Creating a consistent look and feel for docs

Subject: RE: Creating a consistent look and feel for docs
From: Aoidìn Scully <ascully -at- flexicom -dot- com>
To: "'Lathrop, Sarah'" <Sarah-Lathrop -at- forum-financial -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 11:25:16 +0100

Sarah,

We had a similiar situation here a few months ago. I had to create Word
templates, unfortunately to a design thought up by an outside party, who
had no experience of Word. These templates had to follow certain styles
exactly, and be easy enough for even an engineer to use.

After tearing my hair out for a while, in the end I decided to create
lots of little macros. So, for example, for heading 1, I created a macro
that inserted a numbered heading in the right font and size, with a
little line drawn over the top, and that automatically broke to the next
page. I did the same for all the different levels of heading. I also
created a macro that inserted a correctly formatted table, a little note
box...in fact, everything the user would need to format docs in that
style.

I gathered all these macros together on one toolbar, and made sure it
was attached to each template.

I then sent out an email promising hellfire and damnation for those who
used anything other than the macros to format their doc.

So far, it's worked great. A few hiccups, but easily sorted.