RE: A fast survey

Subject: RE: A fast survey
From: "Humbird, Len - CFC" <Humbird -dot- Len -at- cfwy -dot- com>
To: "''TECHWR-L (E-mail)'" <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 15:07:48 -0700

> What object, person or place first comes to mind when you read,
> "lack of respect for what tech writers do"?

Marketing managers.

> What object, person or place first comes to mind when you read,
> "deadlines"?

Tombstone - with my college nickname engraved. A fishing pole is attached to
it, with a bonus paycheck as lure. There's a hair trigger made of fishing
line at my feet, which is attached to a W.W.II style machine gun just behind
the tombstone.

> What object, person or place first comes to mind when you read,
>"lack of career path / room for advancement"?

Image of self in mirror. Except I'm 70 yrs old, attempting to create a
multimedia presentation to justify my existence when compared to mid-21st
century "Windows AI", fortified with Wizards of course. (Marketing managers
love 'em.) And all I've got is a jammed-up Olivetti manual typewriter and
colored ribbon.

> What object, person or place first comes to mind when you read,
> "time to learn new tools and skills"?

ZDU's website. Except it's a real campus - really huge - where it's always
sunny, and students and professors are smiling and skipping along the
sidewalk to class. And you say 'hi' to one of them and each one of them
greets you by yelling at the top of their lungs, "Yeah I know you are, so
what am I!?!"

> What object, person or place first comes to mind when you read,
> "hands-on sessions"?

It's quite detailed, but I don't know you well enough to say.

> What object, person or place first comes to mind when you read,
> "getting a new or better job"?

Well as a contractor, I guess that would mean getting a "real" job, as my
ex-wife would say. To me, that would mean selling all my stuff, buying a
one-way ticket to Jamaica and selling trinkets to the tourists once in
awhile. Ah, yes...