Re: Software choice for publishing?

Subject: Re: Software choice for publishing?
From: Nancy McDonald-Kenworthy <mcdonaln -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 15:16:49 -0700 (PDT)

I have used Publisher, Word and PageMaker, and of all, for layout,
PageMaker works best... it seemed to me that Publisher was a bad
version of PageMaker... a cheap imitation, and didn't have the power of
PageMaker, though Publisher does have a lot of similar metaphors,
functions, etc. Word does things differently, and you cannot set a
news paper type layout in Word like you can in either of the other two.

As usual, it all depends on your purposes, and what you want the tools
to do, though. I have put newsletters together in Publisher, after
designing books in PageMaker, and WISHED so much to have PageMaker for
my work... I have also written book length documents in Word (each
chapter a differnt doc, tho..), only I didn't have to move text around
like I've done in a newsletter or pamphlet.

And Goeff is correct, the type of tool you use is critical to the
future use of the finished product. It is useless if the other end
doesn't have the application also, unless this is either html or pdf..

HTH...
Nancy McDonald
Columbus, OH US

=====