RE: Software documentation on the critical path

Subject: RE: Software documentation on the critical path
From: "Nancy Smith" <smithcds -at- ici -dot- net>
To: "'TECHWR-L, a list for all technical communication issues'" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 15:04:12 -0400

Tom Murrell wrote:

> Here's my secret: I work very hard to make the
documentation
> as complete,
> correct, and easy to use as possible, and I ship
it on the due date
> regardless of whether it is done or not.

I do mostly the same thing, with minor modification:

I matter-of-factly let the manager or project leader
know their "gets and don't-gets" based on the
schedule I am obligated to follow and let that
person decide the value of giving me more time. I
cannot remember a time in 18+ years of technical
writing where we weren't able to negotiate.
Sometimes they gave me more time; sometimes they
said "Just leave it out." Either decision satisfied
me.

Finally, though, if the information isn't available,
I publish without it or barely touch on it at a high
level.

Nancy Smith