FWD: TW leading GUI design team

Subject: FWD: TW leading GUI design team
From: Anonymous Poster <anonfwd -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 05:54:09 -0600 (MDT)

I'm a lone TW within a software development group of a medium-sized
company. I've just successfully lobbied to lead the usability/GUI design
team for a new web-enabled application. This is a highly configurable and
complex piece of Java-based software for the financial services industry.

This is really exciting opportunity at a number of levels. However, this
is also something I've not done before. Now, I've done quite a bit of
reading about development processes and models, but, I don't have much
practical experience in this specific area. It's really the practical
issues that I'm concerned about at this point.

Based on your own personal experience what, in general, are the look-outs
and gotchas?

The decision's previously been made that the GUI's to be built by one of
the programmers with Web Sphere Studio. I'm the closest thing to a graphic
artist here (and that's mostly functional/relationship designs etc). This
my not be relevant, but I have access to Illustrator 8.0 (haven't used it
yet) and Photoshop 5.5 (haven't used since v 4.0) and will be
'word-cutting' with FM 5.5.6.

Certainly, at the prototyping stage a real graphic artist is not an
option, but _may_ be later on. However, the way the development game is
played here, whatever makes it to "that'll do for now" is substantively
what goes out the door.

Your shared practical knowledge in this field will be received and read
with enormous enthusiasm.

Thanks in advance

Forwarded anonymously on request. If you want the
original poster to see your response, you must reply
to the TECHWR-L list. All direct replies to this
message are automatically discarded. Contact Eric
ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com with questions.