Reviewer guide?

Subject: Reviewer guide?
From: "Geoff Hart" <geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:22:28 -0400

Jennifer Collins is working on a "reviewer's guide", which is
<<a guide to be sent along with the product to journalists and
outside analysts so they can judge our software.>>

That doesn't sound like the right term to me. What you're talking
about is either a marketing brochure (if you're trying to tell them
what to think about your product and how to think about it) or a
white paper (if you're providing background information and context
to help them evaluate your product). If you're specifically targeting
journalists, it might also be a "press release". It might even be a
fact sheet if it primarily provides technical specifications.

<<what can you tell me about this audience? what do they expect
to find in such a guide?>>

First off, most of them (journalists in particular) aren't going to like
it much if you tell them what to do. So you should aim your writing
as something that helps them do _their_ job. If you can define what
each different type of person's job is, then you can figure out what
information you need to give them.

--Geoff Hart @8^{)} geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca (Pointe-Claire, Quebec)
"Perhaps there is something deep and profound behind all those sevens, something just calling out for us to discover it. But I
suspect
that it is only a pernicious, Pythagorean coincidence." George Miller, "The Magical Number Seven" (1956)