Re: The or no The

Subject: Re: The or no The
From: Christi Carew <christi -at- sageinst -dot- COM>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 09:24:53 -0700

Hi,

Typically, the name of a product is supposed to be an adjective, especially
if your company is concerned about copyrights. So you are writing about
"the software" and "the hardware". It's just as if you were writing about
"the cheap software" or "the expensive hardware"; you (technically) should
use "The SuperThing software" and "The SuperThing hardware".
HOWEVER
Most (I think) users are used to saying and hearing it without the "the",
as in "use superthing to do something cool". What seems to have worked for
a couple of the companies I have worked for is to use the technically
correct way ("the superthing software") the first time it appears in a
section or chapter of a guide, but from thereafter, just use the adjective
("superthing").
What it came down to was, if we were forced to write "the superthing
software" every time it came up (as our legal dept. wanted), it got to be
very clumsy, especially when there were many references on one page.

Hope that helps.

Christi Carew
Technical Writer

christi -at- sageinst -dot- com