RE: Any ideas for a presentation on the documentation process?

Subject: RE: Any ideas for a presentation on the documentation process?
From: Michael Simoni <msimoni -at- omware -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:48:37 -0700

John's suggestion about making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches is great.
It will help break up the monotony of meetings, as well as provide a
simplified example of the process. And it's funny he mentioned six year
olds.
Last year, my girlfriend asked me to speak to her class, which was studying
people in the community, about my job as a writer (she teaches a
first/second combination). Of course I accepted, but had to decide how to
explain tech writing to six and seven year olds. My solution? I explained
that I tell people how to work things like computers (which they immediately
related to games). As a group, we then discussed the steps needed to
organize and staple a messy stack of papers.
Not as exciting as a cop or fireman, but they were engaged. Wish I had
thought of making sandwiches. Go with the hands on process...
Michael D Simoni