RE: Any ideas for a presentation on the documentation process?

Subject: RE: Any ideas for a presentation on the documentation process?
From: Karen Toast <karen -dot- toast -at- watchguard -dot- com>
To: "'techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, Carolyn Grismore <carolyn -dot- grismore -at- watchguard -dot- com>, John Butler <john -dot- butler -at- watchguard -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:53:06 -0700

John, with all due respect, I believe you are missing something crucial
here.

> Give everyone a sealed jar of peanut butter, a sealed
> jar of jelly, a couple of slices of bread still in the
> bag, and a knife.

No no... don't give them the jar of peanut butter. This is critical. Tell
them to -imagine- a jar of peanut butter.

Make sure that they include in the process a description of the imagined
peanut butter and how it theoretically spreads. It should also be noted that
peanut butter without nuts is a stretch goal. You need to modularly document
the process both with and without the nuts in a way that is seamless to the
neighbor.

> Tell them to write down the process
> to make a couple of sandwiches, then have their
> neighbor use the own process word for word to make
> their lunch.

About half-way through the sandwich making, pass around jars of Nutella.

Toast

Karen Toast Conger
WatchGuard Technologies, Inc.
(206) 613-6602
karen -dot- toast -at- watchguard -dot- com