RE: Any ideas for a presentation on the documentation process?

Subject: RE: Any ideas for a presentation on the documentation process?
From: Lorinda Harris <lharris -at- gte-seattle -dot- com>
To: "'Krista Van Laan'" <KVanlaan -at- verisign -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 16:38:35 -0700

My ideas may get me flamed but so be it - they work!

* I have found the most effective way to get a point across is to have a
simulation of real events right at the beginning. Have them document the way
to make a paper airplane while the specs are changing and the deadline
remains the same time as delivery of the product to test or client. Or have
them write the steps for making a paper airplane while not letting them make
one. Then have them switch papers and try to make a paper airplane from the
other persons (or groups) documentation. It's a fun way to start off the
meeting and can take as little as 15 minutes from start to finish.

* Arrange meeting for lunch time and provide lunch. You will accomplish a
couple of things at once: greater attendance, people don't interrupt as
often when eating and seem to actually listen, you save them time out of
their day and they appreciate it so they are more disposed to listen. Or at
least around here they are!

Lorinda Harris
425.825.5351 direct line; 425.825.5311 fax
lharris -at- gte-seattle -dot- com

"The last of the human freedoms is to choose one's attitude in any given set
of circumstances."
--Victor Frankel