Re: Newbie Blues (Telecommuting)

Subject: Re: Newbie Blues (Telecommuting)
From: Wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 1999 19:32:47 EDT

Let me add my voice to the telecommuting issue.

For all the reasons already stated (damn, Eric, you're GOOD!),
this is not something a newbie is likely to succeed at. And I'd
be very, very surprised to find a company, even one that actively
supports telecommuting, offering this particular perq to someone,
well, shall we say "unproven."

To echo good advice, find a company you like with an environment
you like ... then work your buns off to prove yourself. With a coupla
year track record of excellent, accurate work featuring assignments
completed to spec, on time, and under budget - and a reputation of being a
proactive and enthusiastic team player - you'll likely find yourself
with the telecommuting options you desire.

In the meantime, use the site-time to your advantage. Get to know
the people, the products, the environment, the competition. Find
a local mentor, which jest ain't easy to do without facetime, and
pick his/her brain and experience til there's nothing left to pick.

Then do the research on telecommuting. Why do you want to
do it? Do you have what it takes, mentally, emotionally, and
ethically, to be a successful telecommuter? Do you have the
right equipment and tools? Most importantly, what are the advantages
to your employer? Why is it to your team's benefit, your boss's
benefit, your company's benefit, and their customers' benefit to
support your wish to telecommute?

Hope this helps ...

Anne Halsey (who does telecommute from time to time)
wrdfinesse -at- aol -dot- com