Re: Are best practices standards?

Subject: Re: Are best practices standards?
From: "Sharon Burton-Hardin" <sharonburton -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Oct 1999 09:41:40 -0700

On this one, Andrew, I may have to disagree with you somewhat.

I am not entirely sure that tech writing is best thought of as a creative
endeavor. While there is certainly a lot of creativity involved, it is also
a structured process that often is not creative. We do not (god, I hope!)
make up a lot of what we do every time we do it. There are defined
structures to what we do and they should be there. They are important. For
example, we would have fits if the writer decided to be really creative and
start with the advanced information at the front of the book and print the
7x9 inch portrait book so that the words were actually landscape on the
right and portrait on the left. I am making this up but get the drift of
what I am saying, here. We don't change font or color every 4 words because
4 is the square root of 2 and we want to be creative with squares in this
manual.

I have just known too many writers who couldn't be bothered with the style
guide or knowing about usability stuff because it interrupted their creative
process. And generally what they turned out was crap that no one should have
paid for. We have processes and generally accepted ways of doing things
because that much at least is decided and agreed upon, both by us and our
users. Frequently, whether we are aware of it or not. Now many of the
trivial details are in dispute (by us - our readers don't really care,
generally) but the general guidelines are not. Part of the agreement with
our readers.

In a truly creative endeavor, we would all be trying to think outside the
lines all the time to push the edges and see what happened. We (at least
regularly employed tech writers) don't do that. They actually have general
processes they use, whether formal or informal, to accomplish the goal - a
manual in the most cost-effective manner possible.

My thoughts. Not truth, just thoughts.

sharon

Sharon Burton-Hardin
President of the Inland Empire chapter of the STC
www.iestc.org
Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
Check out www.WinHelp.net!