RE: labeling screen shots

Subject: RE: labeling screen shots
From: "Dan Roberts" <droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: <gyaker -at- csc -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 19:58:44 -0500

i'd think that since fields and the values in them look different in windows
applications than they did in 3270 screens, that a simple typographic
variation might be ok. you might consider using column headings to
distinguish between the field and the description.

just to complicate matters, even if you show the entire window at the
beginning of the section, would it be worth it to break out sections of the
window and repeat them closer to the description of the data elements. I'd
think it'd be kinda tough on the reader to be flipping back and forth from
the screenshot to the description. for example, envision what a typical
order entry screen might appear like - customer info, order info, shipping
info, pricing info. so you might have:
full window
Use this window to .....
customer info portion
field-desc
field-desc
field-desc
order info portion
field-desc
field-desc
etcetcetc

i think it worked pretty well for some of my doc, esp on really busy screens
with a lot going on.

Dan Roberts
droberts63 -at- earthlink -dot- net

Delores Delago for President